2019 Certified Poweshiek County Democratic Party
The principal concern of the Democratic Party remains the well-being of all the people. This concern is based upon the promise in the Declaration of Independence that all “are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
As Poweshiek Democrats:
- We support responsible stewardship of the earth’s resources, including clean air, clean water, and renewable energy.
- We believe in tax fairness, where everyone is taxed progressively according to income and wealth.
- We support campaign finance reform as a matter of principle to reduce the undue influence of special interests and to eliminate the potential bribery of elected officials.
- We believe that quality education should be made available to all
- We believe that it is past time to solve the problems of healthcare in our country
- We defend the right of workers, farmers, and merchants to organize to achieve a sustainable income and fair working conditions
- We would end discrimination based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, occupation, national origin, veteran status, age, disability, or ethnic identity
- We support the local and independent ownership of livestock and grain farms
- We support the legislature enact a check-off on the state income tax to fund the Natural Resources & Recreation Trust
- We support recycling
- needed to protect our environment